Homemade Frugal Mitten Bags

Jan 01, 2012 · 3 mins read
Share this

When we moved to Wisconsin, I knew that it would be cold during the winter. I realized that we would need lots of winter wear for the good part of a year. What I hadn’t anticipated was the way all that paraphernalia would take over our mud room.

Over the weekend I decided that enough was enough. I searched the web for ideas on organizing it all and found something that looked like it might work. Basically, each family member gets a drawstring bag (a mitten bag) to hold their winter stuff. A selection of fabric used to create a drawstring bag to hold winter items like gloves and hats.So I gathered up my sewing things and went to work. Now, I’m not a great sewer. Heck, most days I’m not even a mediocre sewer. But it was a simple drawstring bag AND I had a step-by-step tutorial so I figured I’d be just fine.

And yes, that is a pair of pants. They were my daughter’s favorite pair but they no longer fit so we decided to re-purpose the fabric. I also used an old fitted sheet and fabric left over from other projects. Both the tree-hugger and the miser in me were happy!

There are tons of directions on the web for making drawstring bags so I’ll just hit the highlights here. (If you want a more detailed version, I found this clip from Crafty Gemini helpful.)

Based on the amount of material I had, I cut two 15″x18″ pieces. Then I put the “right” sides together and sewed up the bottom and both sides. I whipped it out so fast I almost thought I was getting good at sewing. And then I flipped the piece over.

Incorrect tension on my Singer sewing machine made the stitches messy on my drawstring bag.

Ah yes, this is more like my sewing abilities.

(Note to self: Always check the tension dial on the sewing machine before starting. Even though you have no idea what it does, apparently it is important.)

Cotton string creates the drawstring for this homemade bag.So after using my trusty seam-ripper to remove the messy stitches, fixing my tension and redoing the whole thing, I wound up with a little bag. Then I folded down the top to form a little pocket (like a big hem) and sewed that down. Using cotton string, I created the drawstring and tied it up.

In the sewing tutorial I followed, it used two drawstrings, one on each side of the bag. To close the bag, you pull on both strings at the same time. Well, trying to be more frugal with my cotton string, I decided to only use one. This isn’t a problem for Josh or I or the older kids but my 5 year old (owner of the dinosaur bag) has a hard time opening and closing his with just one string. If he doesn’t get the hang of it soon, I’ll probably add the other string to his bag.

The last steps were to fill the mitten bag and hang it up. The bags hang on the same hook as their coat so everything wintery is conveniently located in one place (well minus the snow boots). And presto-magico – all the mittens, gloves and hats are off the mud room floor!

Join Newsletter
Get the latest news right in your inbox. We never spam!